Expedia Reveals 2011 “Insiders’ Select” List - Featuring the World’s Top Hotels for Quality and Value
Canadian hotels rank among top 30 out of 500 earning designation as Insiders’ Select properties
TORONTO – May 9, 2011 – Expedia®, the world's leading online travel agency, recently unveiled the Expedia® 2011 Insiders' Select® results. Insiders' Select is a global program that identifies the top hotels available on Expedia, based on "quality and value," rather than pure luxury. The ranking is determined primarily by Expedia customer reviews. Every year more than 500,000 reviews are submitted, verified and analyzed to compile the Insiders' Select list.
This year's top 10 Expedia Insiders' Select properties are:
- Cedarbrook Lodge – Seattle, Washington (USA)
- iQ Hotel Roma – Rome, Italy
- Hotel Antiche Figure – Venice, Italy
- Hotel Berchielli – Florence, Italy
- Hotel Monterey Kyoto – Kyoto, Japan
- The Nines – Portland, Oregon (USA)
- Les Terres M Barka - Morocco, Marrakech
- K&K Hotel Central - Prague, Czech Republic
- Hotel Teatro – Denver, Colorado (USA)
- Sofitel New York - New York, NY (USA)
"When it comes to hotels, opulence is a fairly easy thing to measure. What's more difficult to measure is value – those hotels that regularly deliver a quality experience night in and night out. Insiders' Select features the world's top hotels for value," said Sean Shannon, Managing Director, Expedia Canada . "Insiders' Select scores are primarily determined by our customers. Every year, hundreds of thousands of travellers take the time to share their experiences with Expedia and with one another. The 2011 Insiders' Select List reflects that collective wisdom."
In Canada, two hotels in B.C. ranked among the top 30 Expedia Insiders' Select properties, including luxury boutique hotel L'Hermitage Hotel Vancouver (#24) and Magnolia Hotel and Spa in Victoria (#27). Other notable Canadian mentions within the top 100 Expedia Insiders' Select properties included the Delta Bow Valley in Calgary, Alberta (#59), Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport (#63), Sterling Inn & Spa in Niagara Falls, Ontario (#79) and Montreal's Hotel Le Crystal (#100).
"Canadian customers play an important part in providing their personal reviews for both domestic hotel stays as well as internationally. In Canada, one of the things we're known for is our hospitality – it's great to see that reflected by our Canadian hotel partners in the top 30 of this year's Insiders' Select rankings," said Shannon. "We truly value the opinion of our customers, and appreciate the time and effort they put into sharing their experiences with their fellow travellers."
To see the complete list of winning hotels and for more information on Insiders' Select, visit www.expedia.ca/insidersselect. Expedia.ca travellers can find Insiders' Select hotels by filtering results and selecting the box marked "Insiders' Select."
The Insiders' Select program debuted in 2007. This year, Expedia made the requirements more rigorous; the company required more reviews per property and higher scores per review to make the list. The 2011 winners are the top 500 hotels globally, out of the more than 135,000 properties offered on Expedia sites internationally. Hotels that made the 2011 list received an average review score of 4.7 and a 98.2% recommendation rate.
Three components are considered when ranking a hotel:
- Customer Reviews:Reviews are the most powerful testament to the quality of a hotel. Travellers submit reviews after completing a stay at a given hotel. Expedia verifies that each review is legitimate. The company has a comprehensive method of ferreting out fake reviews. More than 500,000 hotel reviews were analyzed over the past year.
- Market Manager Input:Expedia employs hundreds of market managers in cities across the globe. These market managers work closely with Expedia's hotel partners to maximize the value the hotels get from Expedia's global online travel marketplace [and to maximize the value that hotels offer to Expedia's consumer base].
- Value Rating:Expedia compares each property's average daily rates to those of similar properties, to assess the hotel's relative value. This makes it easy for busy travellers to identify hotels that deliver an excellent experience at a comparatively good value. Hotels that routinely exceed customer expectations – in their customer service, amenities, competitive pricing and more – see that emphasis reflected in their rankings.
The 2011 Insiders' Select list highlights true quality and value in the hotel industry with a remarkable cross-section of properties in different regions, representing various accommodation types and star rating categories. The feature that each Insiders' Select property has in common is a surpassing commitment to value.
Of the 500 properties on the list, 55 are also Expedia VIP Access™ hotels. Expedia Elite Plus® members can earn free room upgrades and VIP perks at such hotels. Elite Plus customers are those who book more than 15 room nights, or spend more than $10,000 on hotels and airfare, in a calendar year with Expedia.
Expedia, Inc. operates Canada's most visited full-service online travel service, Expedia.ca(TM). To help Canadians plan and purchase travel, Expedia.ca provides the best combination of scheduled and charter flights, car and hotel reservations, vacation packages, destination activities, cruises, trip insurance and traveller-authored content. Expedia.ca customers are supported by customer support agents available 24 hours a day, seven days a week via a toll-free number and email response.
Expedia, Expedia.ca, Elite Plus, Insiders' Select and VIP Access are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners.© 2011 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
For more information, please contact:
Expedia and Expedia.com are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Expedia Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Expedia and Expedia.ca are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Expedia, Expedia.ca, Elite Plus, Insiders' Select and VIP Access are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners.© 2011 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
For more information, please contact: