Expedia.ca Secures Gold Standard in Online Privacy Protections
Company Posts BBBOnline and TRUSTe Privacy Seals to Lead Privacy Charge in Online Travel
Toronto, ON, December 11, 2000 – Expedia.ca™, (http://www.expedia.ca) the leading online travel service announced today that the company has been awarded the Better Business Bureau Online (BBBOnline) and TRUSTe privacy seals. These prestigious seals represent the gold standard in online privacy protections for its customers.
"Privacy is consistently one of the top issues Canadian consumers raise as a concern when purchasing online," said Stuart MacDonald, General Manager, Expedia Canada Corp. "The BBBOnline and TRUSTe seals demonstrate that we are dedicated to instilling our customers with confidence and trust in the site."
"Expedia® has passed our rigorous standards for certification and established the necessary self-regulating procedures that will keep consumers' personal data secure," said Bob Lewin, President and CEO of TRUSTe. "This seal is a sign to customers that Expedia will make it easy to protect personal information online."
Descriptions of the seals
The TRUSTe privacy seal is an online branded symbol that signifies that a Web site has posted a privacy statement and, moreover, that the company's data gathering and dissemination practices address the elements of disclosure, choice, access and security outlined in the Federal Trade Commission's fair information practices. Specifically, TRUSTe's licensees must:
- Disclose their information gathering and dissemination practices,
- Give users choice – through opt-in or opt-out – of any secondary uses of their personal information,
- Provide users with access to their personal information to correct any inaccuracies, and
- Ensure that reasonable security mechanisms are being used to protect the data that is collected.
The BBBOnline seal certifies that the information practices of Expedia.ca have been reviewed and meet the standards of the Council of Better Business Bureaus' BBBOnline Privacy Program. This mark verifies that the company:
- Designates a person responsible for overseeing the privacy statement and adherence to BBBOnline standards,
- Participates in and abides by decisions made through BBBOnline's dispute resolution program,
- Provides a privacy notice that is easy to read, clearly labeled and linked throughout all areas where personally identifiable information (PII) is available,
- Explains all PII gathered, how that PII is used, and how the consumer may update and/or change that information,
- Describes any "passive" data collected (i.e. cookies),
- Commits to not sharing PII (or if disclosure is necessary, describing why and what data is transferred),
- Supplies clear switches to change from opt-out to opt-in and vice versa, and
- Facilitates security for PII and secures sensitive information with encryption.
For more information, please visit Expedia's privacy pledge at: http://www.expedia.ca/daily/enc4105/service/privacy.asp
About Expedia, Inc.
Expedia, Inc. (Nasdaq: EXPE) operates Expedia.ca, a leading online Web site in Canada. To help customers travel right, Expedia.ca provides the best combination of air, car and hotel booking, vacation package offers, destination information, and point-to-point mapping.
Expedia, Expedia.com, and the Airplane logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the U.S., Canada, and/or other countries. Other products and company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
For more information, please contact:
Linda Andross, Edelman Public Relations, (416) 979-1120 ext. 304, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more press information in Expedia.ca: www.expedia.ca/daily/enc4105/service/press/releases/default.asp