Expedia.ca Releases 2012 Insiders’ Select List of the World’s Best-Reviewed Hotels
The Most Bang for Your Travel Buck: Expedia.ca Releases
2012 Insiders’ Select List of the World’s Best-Reviewed Hotels
Rankings generated by 500,000+ qualified traveller reviews;
Slovakian boutique hotel tops 2012 list; Montreal hotel ranks highest in Canada
TORONTO (ON), July 3, 2012 – Expedia.ca™ , Canada’s leading online travel provider, today announced the Expedia® 2012 Insiders’ Select®™ results. This annual global review identifies the top hotels available on Expedia.ca and all Expedia sites worldwide based on quality and value scores. Celebrating its sixth year, Insiders’ Select rankings are largely determined by the more than 500,000 Expedia customer reviews received during the course of 2011. Hotels that consistently deliver value in the form of competitive pricing, pristine amenities and superior customer service will see that commitment rewarded in their ranking.
This year, 650 hotels from among the more than 150,000 properties available on Expedia.ca are designated as Insiders’ Select hotels and made the list after receiving a minimum guest review score of 4.0 out of 5.0. On average, the designated hotels on the list earned a guest review score of 4.4 during 2011, the qualifying year. Marrol’s Boutique Hotel, a five-star property in Bratislava, Slovakia, topped the 2012 Insiders’ Select list, edging Hotel Al Codega of Venice, Italy. The top Canadian hotel was the LHotel Montreal, listed at number 59. The top ten hotels in this year’s ranking include:
1. Marrol’s Boutique Hotel(Bratislava, Slovakia)
2. Hotel Al Codega(Venice, Italy)
3. Hotel Royal Corin(Costa Rica)
4. Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen(Aberdeen, Scotland)
5. Four Seasons Miami(Miami, Florida)
6. Madison Hotel Hamburg(Hamburg/Hanover, Germany)
7. Element Omaha Midtown Crossing(Omaha, Nebraska)
8. Sonnenalp Resort of Vail(Vail-Beaver Creek, Colorado)
9. Taj Lands’ End(Mumbai, India)
10. Mr. C Beverly Hills(Los Angeles, California)
Of the 40 Canadian hotels that made the Insiders’ Select list, five secured spots in the top 100 including:
59. LHotel Montreal (Montreal, Quebec)
64. Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre (Whistler – Blackcomb, British Columbia)
77. Four Seasons Vancouver (Vancouver, British Columbia)
91. Prince George Hotel (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
93. Pinnacle Hotel at the Pier (North Vancouver, British Columbia)
“Expedia.ca is excited to release the 2012 version of Insiders’ Select, which is a culmination of more than half a million customer reviews received during 2011,” said Sean Shannon, Vice President and Managing Director of Expedia Canada. “We know travellers are increasingly making holiday-related decisions based on reviews – in fact, 37 per cent of Canadians we recently surveyed said that they ‘always’ or ‘often’ factor in feedback by others before booking a hotel or choosing a travel destination. This underscores the value Insiders’ Select offers Canadian travellers, giving them the options and confidence to book the right hotel for their needs and preferences.”
New to the Insiders’ Select program this year was the addition of hotel categories. For example, the 650 designated hotels may be categorized as luxury, pet friendly or family friendly – to name a few. Based on these categories:
· 35% or 229 hotels are considered luxury
· 32% or 208 hotels are pet friendly
· 18% or 116 are beach hotels, including 32 in Mexico which is a favourite destination for Canadian travellers
· 17% or 108 are considered green or sustainable
· 14% or 87 are family friendly
The 2012 Insiders’ Select list reflects a cross-section of properties in different regions, representing various accommodation types and star ratings. The 650 hotels in the 2012 rankings are found in 295 cities in 74 countries. Twenty-eight per cent of Insiders’ Select hotels are in America, 25 per cent in Europe, 3 per cent in South America, 19 per cent in Asia and 25 per cent elsewhere.
How Rankings are Compiled
Insiders’ Select ranks hotels using three sets of data:
· Customer reviews: Reviews are the most powerful testament to the quality of a hotel. Travellers submit reviews after completing a stay at a hotel booked on an Expedia site. Over 500,000 qualified reviews were used in this year’s ranking.
· Hotel Market Management team input: Expedia employs hundreds of market managers across the globe responsible for managing our hotel partnerships. The expertise of this team, who works closely with Expedia's hotel partners, was used to formulate hotel rankings.
· Value rating: Expedia compares each property's average daily rates to those of similar properties to assess the hotel's relative value. This makes it easy for busy travellers to identify hotels that deliver an excellent experience at a comparatively good value. Hotels that routinely exceed customer expectations – in their customer service, amenities, competitive pricing and more – see that emphasis reflected in their rankings.
Of the properties on the 2012 list, many are included in the current Expedia.ca Bundle Your Summer Sale, which offers savings of up to 40 per cent off your stay for travel through to the end of September.
To find the complete list of Insiders’ Select properties, including a ranking by categories, visit www.expedia.ca/insidersselect.
About Expedia Inc.
Expedia, Inc. operates Canada's most visited full-service online travel service, Expedia.ca. To help Canadians plan and purchase travel, Expedia, Inc. provides the best combination of scheduled and charter flights, car and hotel reservations, vacation packages, destination activities, cruises, trip insurance and traveller-authored content. Expedia customers are supported by customer support agents available 24 hours a day, seven days a week via a toll-free number and email response.
Expedia,Expedia.ca and Insiders’ Select are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners. © 2012 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
- 30 -
For more information, please contact:
To download this release, please click here:
|Expedia Insiders' Select Key Messages.docx||18.86 KB|